Calhoun A Finalist For National Player of the Year
Nov. 21, 2008
Jordan Calhoun was named a finalist for the Soccer News Net Player of the Year Award Thursday night. By being named a finalist, Calhoun is recognized as one of the top-32 players in the nation.
Calhoun, who was named Mountain West Conference Freshman of the Year in 2008, was recently selected to Top Drawer Soccer's second-team All-Rookie squad.
The Norman, Okla., native, netted 15 goals during the 2008 season, while dishing out two assists. With her 15 goals, the first-team all-conference selection, who became TCU's all-time leader in goals scored during a single-season, helped lead the Horned Frogs to a 14-4-2 record and season-high national ranking of No. 28.
Overall, Calhoun netted six game-winning goals on the season, while also scoring the equalizing goal in matches against No. 19 Texas, Texas Tech and Ole Miss.
Finally, she finished the 2008 season ranked first in the Mountain West Conference in points, points per game, goals, goals per game and game-winning goals during her freshman campaign.
The editors of each of the six sites in the Soccer News Net network nominated up to six local players, each of whom will be eligible for the regional player of the year award. The nominations include athletes playing at colleges within each site's coverage area, as well as athletes that are playing elsewhere in the country. Six additional at-large selections rounded out the nominations.
Fans from across the country will be able to vote for the top collegiate player. Voting will continue until Dec. 15, and will be conducted on Dallas Soccer News.
Online fan voting will account for 40 percent of the total toward the award. The remaining 60 percent of the vote will be cast by the editorial staffs of the six web sites.