Dec. 3, 2002
FORT WORTH, Texas -
About Tonight's Game...
The Lady Frogs begin nearly a month-long homestand when they host UW-Green Bay this evening. The lone away game for TCU will come on Tues., Dec. 10 when they travel to Austin to take on the No. 16 Texas Longhorns. Sophomore guard Ashley Browning is tonight's Lady Frog Spotlight Player and will be signing autographs following the TCU/UWGB game.
UW-Green Bay comes to Fort Worth with a 4-1 record under fifth-year head coach Kevin Borseth. Last weekend, the Phoenix captured the Oneida Bingo & Casino Holiday Tournament with a 83-72 victory over Miami (Fla.). During the win, UWGB played only seven squad members and hit a school record 16 three-pointers, including seven by Elizabeth Dudley.
The Phoenix are led in scoring by Kristy Loiselle (13.2 ppg), Chandra Johnson (12.0 ppg) and Dudley (10.6 ppg). Loiselle has also tallied 28 rebounds in five games, good for a 5.6 rebounds per game average to pace the team in that category as well. .
In 2002, UW-Green Bay participated in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Austin, Texas. The Phoenix ended up on the short end of a 60-55 score against the host Longhorns.
About Ashley Browning...
* Played in 30 of 31 games as a true freshman, seeing an average of 10.7 minutes per contest.
* Averaged 3.6 points and 1.3 rebounds per game.
* Finished third on the team in three-pointers made (28) and had the second-best percentage (.389) from long range.
* Would have ranked among Conference USA's top 10 in three-point percentage, but did not attempt enough to qualify.
* Shot a higher percentage from behind the arc (.389) than she did from inside the circle (.323).
* Made a huge impact for the Lady Frogs in an ESPN2 game, hitting her first four three-point attempts vs. Houston on Jan. 13.
* Posted a career-high 12 points on two occasions (vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Dec. 18 and vs. Houston on Jan. 13).
* Went 3-for-3 from three-point range to collect nine points against Tulane in the semifinals of the C-USA Tournament.
* Had a pair of blocked shots against San Diego State on Dec. 2.
* Dragged down a career-best six rebounds in a career-high 22 minutes of play against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Dec. 18.
* Was a three-year letterwinner at Plano East High School.
* Tabbed as the eighth-rated player in the state of Texas.
* Selected as both an AAU and a BCI All-American.
* Recognized as a Christian Student-Athlete second-team All-American.
* Voted team MVP, district MVP, first-team all-region and first-team all-state as a senior.
* Voted district offensive player of the year and second-team all-state as a junior.
* Earned first-team all-state accolades in Class 5A according to the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches (TABC) and the Texas Girls Coaches Association (TGCA).
* Named to the AAU regional all-tournament team.
* Scored 15 points per game and hauled in eight rebounds per contest as a junior.
* Tabbed as district newcomer of the year as a sophomore.
* Named first-team all-district three consecutive seasons and first-team all-region twice.
* Listed on the all-area squad in the Dallas Morning News.
* Earned all-state honors from Texas Basketball Magazine on two occasions.
* Was a member of the AAU Junior Olympic Team.
* Full Name: Ashley Tyshann Browning
* Parents: Harvey and Tammy Browning
* Major: Physical Therapy