No. 41 TCU men's tennis upends No. 23 Texas Tech
Feb. 17, 2006
FORT WORTH, Texas - The No. 41 TCU men's tennis team defeated No. 23 Texas Tech 6-1 Friday afternoon at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center. Senior Rafael Abreu recorded a thrilling 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 victory at No. 1 over Adrain Prpic to clinch the match.
"I am real proud of the way we played, stated TCU head coach Joey Rivé. We were good in singles. Texas Tech battled hard and we had to play well to win."
The Frogs jumped to a 1-0 lead after winning two-of-three doubles matches. Senior Jordan Freitas and freshman Kriegler Brink recorded an 8-5 victory over Teddy DiBlasi and Dimitrio Markovic at No. 2. Sophomore Cosmin Cotet and junior Radu Barbu paired to take an 8-4 victory over Michael Brehler and Mario Janjic at No. 3 to clinch the doubles point for TCU.
TCU stretched the lead to 2-0 after Barbu defeated DiBlasi 6-2, 6-2 on court No. 5. Barbu is perfect in singles play this season while playing at the No. 5 and No. 6 positions.
Sophomore Andrei Mlendea brought the Frogs within a point of the victory with a 6-4, 6-2 triumph at No. 2 over Christian Rojmar.
Abreu clinched the match with his first win of the season at the No. 1 position.
Senior Jacopo Tezza added to TCU's win total with a 7-5, 2-6(10-2) victory at No. 4 and Brink followed with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Janjic at No. 6.
With the win, TCU improved to 3-0 on the season. The team returns to action on Sunday when it hosts San Diego. Match time is scheduled for 1 p.m.
No. 41 TCU def. No. 23 Texas Tech, 6-1
1. Rafael Abreu, TCU, def. Adrian Prpic, TT, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
2. Andrei Mlendea, TCU, def. Christian Rojmar, TT, 6-4, 6-2
3. Michael Brehler, TT, def. Cosmin Cotet, TCU, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
4. Jacopo Tezza, TCU, def. Sinisa Markovic, TT, 7-5, 2-6(10-2)
5. Radu Barbu, TCU, def. Teddy DiBlasi, TT, 6-2, 6-2
6. Kriegler Brink, TCU, def. Mario Janjic, TT, 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 1, 4, 6, 3
1. Rojmar/Prpic, TT, def. Abreu/Tezza, TCU, 8-3
2. Brink/Freitas, TCU, def. DiBlasi/Markovic, TT, 8-5
3. Barbu/Cotet, TCU, def. Brehler/Janjic, TT, 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1