Jan. 25, 2012
FORT WORTH, Texas – The TCU men’s tennis team got the 2012 season going on the right foot, picking up a 4-2 win over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi indoors at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center Wednesday. More than 300 fans crammed into the indoor facility to watch the Horned Frogs move to 1-0 for the spring.
“I was very pleased with the crowd tonight,” TCU head coach David Roditi said. “I think that is a great sign for all the people that do so much work to get people out. We have nine new guys and you never know how they are going to respond in their first match at home. We’ve put a lot of work in this fall and offseason to get ready for tonight and there were a lot of people here watching. I thought our guys did a great job focusing and taking care of business.”
TCU came out of the gates fired up in doubles play, sweeping all three courts. Senior Paul Chappell and freshman Will Stein got the Frogs off to their winning ways with an 8-4 decision from the third court. The Purple and White clinched the doubles point at top spot as junior JT Sundling and newcomer Nick Chappell cruised to an 8-3 victory.
After the Islanders evened the team tally at the No. 3 court to being singles, Sundling put the Frogs back on top for good with a convincing 6-3, 6-1 straight-set win at the No. 2 position. Senior Daniel Sanchez helped the Frogs’ cause from the No. 4 court, coming back in both sets to earn a 6-4, 6-3 decision.
Nick Chappell sealed the victory for TCU, battling to a 6-2, 7-5 win from the top court. The Indianapolis native enjoyed a superb collegiate debut, clinching both the doubles point and the team win in singles.
TCU will now hit the road for the first time, heading to Athens, Ga., as part of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. The Frogs will play host Georgia at 2 p.m. Sunday.
No. 51 TCU (1-0) def. No. 68 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (2-3), 4-2
Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center - Fort Worth, Texas
Jan. 25, 2012
1. Nick Chappell (TCU) def. Peter Nagy (TAMUCC), 6-2, 7-5
2. JT Sundling (TCU) def. Aurelien Tave (TAMUCC), 6-3, 6-1
3. Gergo Weidinger (TAMUCC) def. Orlando Superlano (TCU), 1-0 (ret.)
4. Daniel Sanchez (TCU) def. Matt Westmoreland (TAMUCC), 6-4, 6-3
5. Fernando Llorens (TAMUCC) def. Max Stevens (TCU), 7-5, 7-6 (4)
6. Paul Chappell (TCU) vs. Nathan Robinson (TAMUCC), 6-3, 1-3, unfinished
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 4, 1*, 5, 6
1. N. Chappell/Sundling (TCU) def. Nagy/Weidinger (TAMUCC), 8-3
2. Sanchez/Superlano (TCU) def. Tave/Westmoreland (TAMUCC), 7-6 (4)
3. P. Chappell/Stein (TCU) def. Pavlov/Robinson (TAMUCC), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1*, 2