TCU men's tennis routs UT-Pan American, 7-0
Jan. 24, 2007
FORT WORTH, Texas - The No. 36 TCU men's tennis team kicked off the spring season on Wednesday with a 7-0 victory over UT-Pan American at the Bayard H. Freidman Tennis Center. The Frogs improved to 1-0 on the season, while the Broncs dropped to 0-2.
"I'm pretty excited about the win today," said TCU head coach Dave Borelli. "We're a young solid team, and we can only up go up from here. I'm very lucky to have some great kids here."
The doubles duo of Kriegler Brink and Caleb Bulls recorded the first win of the match in the No. 2 slot with an 8-3 decision over Gary Bianco and Nirvick Mohinta. The tandem of Cosmin Cotet and Stuart Row clinched the doubles point in the No. 3 spot with a win over Shashank Vij and Rosendo Cantu, 8-4. Chris Biro and Andrew Ulrich teamed up to sweep the doubles event with an 8-7 (7-5) win over Brett Bernstein and David Lopez-Heredia.
Junior Cosmin Cotet played in the No. 1 singles slot, where he recorded a 6-0, 6-1 win over Gary Bianco. Kriegler Brink clinched the win for the Frogs, with a 7-5, 6-0 decision over Nirvick Mohinta 7-5, 6-0. Chris Biro, Andrew Ulrich, Caleb Bulls and Stuart Row also recorded straight sets victories over their opponents.
The Frogs will host No. 23 Clemson on Friday at 2 p.m. at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.
No. 36 TCU (1-0) def. UT-Pan American (0-2), 7-0
1. Cosmin Cotet (TCU) def. Gary Bianco (UTPA), 6-0, 6-1
2. Chris Biro (TCU) def. David Lopez-Heredia (UTPA), 6-3, 6-4
3. Kriegler Brink (TCU) def. Nirvick Mohinta (UTPA), 7-5, 6-0
4. Andrew Ulrich (TCU) def. Shashank Vij (UTPA), 7-5, 6-1
5. Caleb Bulls (TCU) def. Brett Bernstein (UTPA), 6-2, 6-2
6. Stuart Row (TCU) def. Rosenda Cantu (UTPA), 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 3*, 5, 2, 4
1. Biro/Ulrich (TCU) def. Bernstein/Lopez-Heredia (UTPA), 8-7 (7-5)
2. Brink/Bulls (TCU) def. Bianco/Mohinta (UTPA), 8-3
3. Cotet/Row (TCU) def. Vij/Cantu (UTPA), 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3*, 1