June 4, 2012
FORT WORTH--The Golf Coaches Association of America has named TCU freshman Julien Brun a PING First-Team All-American following his reserve-medalist finish at the 2012 NCAA Championship last week.
Brun becomes only the third first-team All-American in the history of the TCU men's golf program, joining J.J. Henry (1998) and Alberto Ochoa (1997), while he is the 16th Horned Frog to earn any kind of All-America recognition. He is the first TCU freshman golfer to earn national honors and the 11th Frog male freshman student-athlete in any individual sport to be named a first-team All-American.
A native of Antibes, France, Brun recently completed the top season ever for a TCU golfer in his first year on campus. He finished the season ranked No. 8 in the nation according to both Golfstat and the Golfweek/Sagarin rating system, while he was No. 5 among all golfers in individual stroke average and No. 2 in average score versus par. In addition to his second-place finish at the national championship, which matched the best NCAA showing ever for a Frog, Brun also set single-season program records for the following categories:
- Individual victories (three; also a TCU career record)
- Top-5 finishes (eight)
- Top-20 finishes (12)
- Individual stroke average (70.51)
- Average score vs. par (-1.03)
- Rounds played at or below par (27 in 39)
- Finish percentage (91.3 percent)
The selection as a PING First-Team All-American adds to a growing list of awards won by Brun this season. Among the other honors include:
- One of 10 Ben Hogan Award semifinalists (nation's top golfer)
- 2012 Palmer Cup selection (European Team)
- Mountain West Freshman of the Year
- All-Mountain West Conference Team
- Two-time Golfweek National Player of the Week
- Two-time Mountain West Golfer of the Month
Joining Brun on the PING First-Team All-America list were 10 of the nation's other top golfers: Blayne Barber (Auburn), Dylan Frittelli (Texas), Stephan Jaeger (Chattanooga), Daniel Miernicki (Oregon), Thomas Pieters (Illinois), Patrick Rodgers (Stanford), Jordan Spieth (Texas), Justin Thomas (Alabama), Chris Williams (Washington) and Eugene Wong (Oregon). Rodgers, Spieth and Thomas joined Brun as freshmen selections.
Follow TCU Men's Golf: