April 25, 2008
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -
The first-place TCU Horned Frogs are set for a key Mountain West Conference series against third-place San Diego State this weekend. TCU holds a slim one-game lead over the Aztecs coming into the three-game series at Tony Gwynn Ballpark. Friday's series opener, set for an 8 p.m. (CST) start will feature two of the top pitchers in the league, Tyler Lockwood
and Stephen Strasburg. Game two is slated for a 3 p.m. (CST) start on Saturday and the series finale on Sunday begins at 1 p.m. (CST).
* TCU continues to play well, moving its April record to 13-2 after a hiccup at Oklahoma.
* The Frogs have won nine straight conference matches.
* Clint Arnold has been the hottest hitter with a .458 average in the month of April.
* The last week saw the Frogs hit .337 with 18 extra base hits.
* Defensively, they committed just six errors for a .967 fielding percentage.
* On the mound, the staff posted a 4.38 ERA with 32 strikeouts.
ROAD SITE NOTES
* The Frogs struggled early on in the season on an opponents' field, but have won six ofseven on the road.
* The Frogs earned their first road series victory last weekend at BYU.
* TCU is 60-49 overall under Schlossnagle on the road.
SAN DIEGO STATE NOTABLES
* The Aztecs fell out of first last week after dropping two of three to UNLV in Las Vegas.
* The Aztecs are hitting .294 as a team led by Troy Hanzawa's .379 batting average.
* On the mound, sophomore Stephen Strasburg has been dominating with 36 strikeouts in his last two starts.
* They have a team ERA of 4.77 with a league-high 357 strikeouts.
* Defensively, the team is fielding at a .967 clip with 52 errors.
SERIES BASE KNOCKS
* TCU and San Diego State will be meeting on the diamond for the 15th time.
* The Frogs own a 9-5 series advantage.
* Last season, the Frogs swept the Aztecs in Fort Worth.
* In 2006, San Diego State took three-of-four meetings on their home field.